sholio: airplane flying away from a tan colored castle (Biggles-castle airplane)
Sholio ([personal profile] sholio) wrote2026-10-22 10:34 pm

Throwing random things into a post

On the general principle that if I don't do it now, I never will ...

Hurt/Comfort Flash Exchange revealed yesterday and I received an absolutely delightful gift, Illusions - Biggles gen fic, about 2K of deliciously satisfying presumed dead. What an EXCELLENT old-school h/c reading experience it was. <333

---

I found out Avengers Doomsday is happening in December somehow, which made me realize how completely I've fallen out of not just love but even interest in the MCU. The last MCU thing I saw that I enjoyed was Thunderbolts, and I really did enjoy it, but it was also a "wait for streaming" kind of experience (and it might've taken me years to get around to it if I hadn't been stuck on a 10-hour trans-Atlantic flight with limited viewing options). I'll get around to Doomsday eventually, I guess! Or maybe I won't, and somehow I don't think I'll be missing a whole lot.

I keep feeling like I have things to say about the whole cycle of that - how I went from a superhero-comic-reading teenager and young adult back when it was a niche interest that most people knew nothing about, to the sheer delight of superhero movies that were actually good, to some of my most active and busy fandom experiences as the whole world fell in love with it too, to overload and disappointment and now I just kind of wish we could look back nostalgically on the whole experience except that it's hard to do when it just keeps GOING.

---

Watched a rocket launch yesterday evening ... sort of. We live about 20 miles south of Poker Flat Research Range, and try to go out in the yard and watch their launches when we can - how often do you get to see a rocket launch from two steps outside your front door? They mainly launch low-altitude rockets to study the aurora - a few times a winter - but these rely on waiting for the aurora to kick up, and so it's a lot of monitoring their Youtube channel and waiting for the countdown, and often they happen late at night or we otherwise miss them.

But this one was something else (studying particle behavior in the atmosphere or something?), so it was scheduled for late evening and easy enough to catch. And then it was too hazy and cloudy to actually see it. We saw the flash - a bright light on the horizon - and then about half a minute later, the sound gets to us, an astonishingly loud (for how far away it is) rumble that sounds like a jet taking off. But that was sadly all we could see from where we were. On clear nights it's possible to see the rocket go up and the stages fall off, but not last night, ALAS! But it was interesting to be reminded just how big a thing even a small rocket is.

--

EDIT: Oh wait, I knew there was something else! I was thinking about doing some kind of Halloween Advent next week (yes I know that's not what Advent means, shhhh) with a series of posts for the week leading up to it; maybe Whumptober ficlets? Halloween/spooky fic recs? It seemed like a week or so of that would be a fun thing that I could PROBABLY keep up with. You are invited to do it too, for whatever sort of posts you wanted to make - anything October/Halloween/seasonal, or just random posts if you wanted to.

(This may not actually happen, but it ought to start on Saturday or Sunday if it does.)

---

ETA2: Also, it snowed this week and it doesn't look like it's planning on going away anytime soon. I guess winter is happening whether we want it or not.
philomytha: airplane flying over romantic castle (Default)

[personal profile] philomytha 2026-10-23 07:35 am (UTC)(link)
Halloween Countdown ficlets sound like fun! I have managed an entire zero whumptober fics so far, but maybe my writing brain is finally waking up again now, and it is also now autumn for real here with gales and driving rain, so I should be in the right frame of mind!
sovay: (Rotwang)

[personal profile] sovay 2026-10-23 07:40 am (UTC)(link)
We live about 20 miles south of Poker Flat Research Range, and try to go out in the yard and watch their launches when we can - how often do you get to see a rocket launch from two steps outside your front door?

That's pretty excellent, even if this one was mostly hazed out.

The superhero oversaturation is kind of amazing, while also depressing and stupid at the same time.

Is autumn short where you are, or did it start earlier and I missed it?
princessofgeeks: Shane smiling, caption Canada's Shane Hollander (Default)

[personal profile] princessofgeeks 2026-10-23 10:15 am (UTC)(link)
Thanks for the MCU heads up.

lunabee34: (Default)

[personal profile] lunabee34 2026-10-23 10:35 am (UTC)(link)
The rocket launch sounds cool even if you couldn't see it well.
liz_mo: (Default)

[personal profile] liz_mo 2026-10-23 11:39 am (UTC)(link)
I absolutely FEEL you on MCU. Dear god, there‘s just sooooo much. Especially after Endgame and after they killed off my first favourite marvel character I was very much meeeh.
Then I got into Dr Strange this year and now I‘m at least interested enough to probably watch doomsday on the big screen. But only for the maybe few glimpses of dr strange
umadoshi: (autumn - frosted leaves (verhalen))

[personal profile] umadoshi 2026-10-23 11:54 am (UTC)(link)
now I just kind of wish we could look back nostalgically on the whole experience except that it's hard to do when it just keeps GOING.

So much THIS. *wistful* In retrospect, possibly I was a bit lucky that I went from loving the first two X-Men movies (I was very much an X-Men girl) to incandescent fury over the third; it was a much cleaner break, even if I then went on to enjoy some of the later ones. (Truthfully, if anything ever gets me to look at Doomsday, it'll be X-Men stuff.)

MCU does somehow keep making me intermittently interested in TV projects, and I do think I'll watch Visionquest, but the overload is incredible.

Also, it snowed this week and it doesn't look like it's planning on going away anytime soon. I guess winter is happening whether we want it or not.

Even knowing where you live, I want to cry "Too soon!"